SCREEN-L Archives

November 1993

From:
Dale Carter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Nov 1993 15:16:58 MET
Original message:

I have decided, therefore, to offer a course next semester in which
I'll attempt to 're-connect' a number of recent popular films with
their 'originals' by showing them together. My criteria are:  1) the
re-make must be recent enough to have been seen by the average
college student (this would exclude THE MAGNIFICENT 7);
2) the original must be generally regarded as a 'classic' of sorts,
or at least be a significant milestone in the history of cinema
(this would let out the original CAPE FEAR), or at least be a work of
an important director (thus, I might include BOUDU SAVED FROM
DROWNING).

I have my list all worked out, but I'd be interested to hear if
anyone else out there can think of other 'classics' which have been
re-made or re-worked in the just the last few years.

Comment:

The first combination of original and remake that comes to mind, and
which would meet the criteria, is Philip Kaufman's 1978 (same title)
remake of Don Siegel's 1956 Invasion of the Body Snatchers. The
setting for the movie changes, from 'Santa Mira' to San Francisco; and
the ending is different (different, at least, from the version of the
original as originally released). But you get Kevin McCarthy in both!

Dale Carter
Assoc. Prof of American Studies
University of Arhus, Denmark