SCREEN-L Archives

November 1993

From:
Pam Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Nov 1993 01:38:00 CDT
Can anyone recommend a thorough study of the black cinema companies
which operated independent of and parallel to the Hollywood studio system from
the teens through the forties? I know of some of Thomas Cripps' work, and also
have heard about G. William Jones' _Black Cinema Treasures: Lost and Found_,
though I haven't read it yet.

Do you know if any of these early African-American-produced films are available
for rental, or even where they might be archived if not in circulation? I
understand that Micheaux's films are scarce, but wondered if others are
available. I've never seen _Birth of A Race_ either. Are these films being
taught in your university's film history classes? They seem to be a very
important tradition, and I'd like to include them in my teaching.

How have others handled this?

Much thanks,

Pam

University of Wisconsin, Madison