SCREEN-L Archives

November 1993

From:
Bert Deivert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Nov 1993 19:14:07 -0100
I have been interested in logging references to Citizen Kane in
films or other productions. There is a nice use of a reference to
the glass ball in Michael Jackson's video of Black or White directed
by John Landis. There is also a reference to the ball in Scola's
film WE ALL LOVED EACH OTHER SO MUCH, as well as what looks to
be a re-creation of the opera review scene when Nicola is writing
to his wife. Whether you wish to call this intertextuality,
allusions, or whatever, I welcome any other such instances that
people may have seen in films after 1941. This kind of quoting
and mimicking is really prevalent in rock videos and spoofs but
may be harder to spot in serious films.

Bert Deivert  Univ. of Karlstad, Sweden