SCREEN-L Archives

November 1993

From:
Jacqueline Reich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Nov 1993 23:09:13 -0500
>Hello Screenies,
>I have some students doing a project on anti-communist propaganda in
>American and European films. I gave them a lot of tips on American and some
>British films, but was lost when it came to other European countries. Any
>tips on films or writing on this particular subject would be interesting.

Check out Goffredo Alessandrini's "Noi Vivi/Addio Kira", based on Ayn
Rand's novel.  It was made during the Fascist period in Italy and has some
great stuff going on on the margins: an anti-communist discourse within a
Fascist context but with a fairly sympathetic Bolschevik.  It was
immediately pulled from circulation when it was released in 1942 (somehow
it squeaked by the censors) but is now available on videotape, at least in
this country.

Buona fortuna!