SCREEN-L Archives

November 1993

From:
Buddy Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Nov 1993 16:25:34 -0600
Greetings,

I am not a student of the cinema, so forgive me if my query is
elementary.  I am teaching a political science course on utopian
ideas, societies, etc. and would love to include film treatments
of the subject alongside the classic literature.

I have identified several films which are "anti-utopian" such as
Brazil, Bladerunner, A Clockwork Orange, The Time Machine, etc.,
describing a dismal world.  However, I would like to find films
which propose a perfect, or utopian world (whether futuristic,
past, or  present makes no difference).  The only film I can
think of which comes close is the original Lost Horizon, but it
has been so many years since I've seen it...

Thank you all in advance.  In the interest of holding down
listserver traffic, perhaps respondents should reply directly to
me and I will summarize for the list if requests warrant it.

B. Johnson