SCREEN-L Archives

November 1993

From:
Bert Deivert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Nov 1993 16:57:18 +0100
GARY,
> (who?) filmed the bulgakov.
>the book had an excellent 1st person p.o.v.

Well, since I don't read Russian, and the translator for the film neglected
to put the name of the director in the subtitles, I STILL don't know WHO
directed it! Alexandr Askoldov, the Russian film director was visiting here
recently and I asked him if he knew the film. He mentioned who he thought
had directed it, but I forgot to write it down. Askoldov is moving from
Berlin to Karlstad in January -- at least that is what he told to me --- so
we may have a good source of lectures on Russian film soon!

HEART OF A DOG has a very interesting opening, since it uses the dog's POV
for the opening shots. Very nice and sort of stroboscopic in nature,
skipping frames. Gives the viewer a sense of being in something different
that a human, but on a subconcious level. Not until there is an objective
shot of the dog watching a cart go by which has previously beeen in the POV
shots do you realize exactly what is going on--- and there is a voice-over
narration going on at the same time. DOG as narrator. Beats Sunset
Boulevard!

Bert

*  Bert Deivert                       E-mail: [log in to unmask]  *
           *  Film Studies
  *
*  Univ. of Karlstad                                               *
*  Box 9501  S-650 09 Karlstad, Sweden    TEL. 46-54-838106        *