SCREEN-L Archives

November 1993

From:
Bert Deivert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Nov 1993 13:36:45 +0100
Hello Screenies,
I have some students doing a project on anti-communist propaganda in
American and European films. I gave them a lot of tips on American and some
British films, but was lost when it came to other European countries. Any
tips on films or writing on this particular subject would be interesting.
Propaganda might be considered too harsh a word by some sensitive
individuals, but somehow the dominant ideology of a society ends up being
planted and amplified in many mainstream productions. I think that can
qualify as propaganda in my book. That is, IMHO.... I love to show RED
NIGHTMARE with Jack Webb narrating, and then follow it up with RAMBO II.
Shakes the Swedish students up anyway.

A film that I mentioned sometime back, HEART OF A DOG, which is a Russian
film based on a Bulgakov book, was one that came to mind as the critique
within a system of oppression. A dog is transformed into a man through an
operation on his thyroid gland, and becomes a Communist party lackey,
spying on people and making a hard time for others. He was a cute dog, but
makes a terrible human! Even such references would be helpful. There might
be some retrospectives after the fall of the Soviet state and East Europe
that I am not familiar with. Has TITO AND ME made it on the circuit in the
US? It was screened at the SCS conference in New Orleans and was recently
shown on Swedish tv. Nice film about growing up in Yugoslavia under TITO.

Bert

*  Bert Deivert                       E-mail: [log in to unmask]  *
           *  Film Studies
  *
*  Univ. of Karlstad                                               *
*  Box 9501  S-650 09 Karlstad, Sweden    TEL. 46-54-838106        *