SCREEN-L Archives

November 1993

From:
Don Ulin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Nov 1993 21:24:13 CDT
I don't want to flood everyone's mail with answers to a question
that only I am interested in, but I would like any
suggestions that anyone may have.  So please send replies directly
to me.  If anyone else wants the replies, I'll pass them on all
together.

THE QUESTION:  I'm trying to a add some film to a course I've taught
before on the language and community of science.  What I'm looking
for is examples of stereotypes of scientists: the scientist as hero;
the mad, dangerous scientist; the helpless scientist; seekers after
power; scientist as adventurer.  I'm especially interested in
examples of the scientist as foolish, childish, and/or in a world
of (inevitably) his own.  I will probably not show more than one
or two films in their entirety, but I want to put together a
collection of excerpts since it's the image, not the entire
narrative that I'm interested in for this purpose.  So please send
me the names of your favorites and I will be very much obliged.
(Right now I've been thinking of _Back to the Future_ and _Killer
Bats_ [Bela Lugosi]).  I know it's an enormous field, but I would
appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks a lot,

-- Don Ulin

*  [log in to unmask]           English Department    *
*  [log in to unmask]         Ballantine Hall 442   *
*                                Indiana University    *
*  (812) 333-9084                Bloomington, IN 47405 *