SCREEN-L Archives

November 1993

From:
Harriet Margolis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 1993 10:34:44 EST
The division James Schamus identifies between two camps working in
pop culture studies is discussed intelligently in communication studies.
In fact, the model is much more complicated than we might be aware of
if we focus exclusively on film studies.  Andrea Press has an interesting
article in the Communication Yearbook of a year or 3 ago.  (Sorry, I'm
in the midst of packing, and can't track down the reference.)  Her bib
is a good source for following the discussion.
  What's particularly good about her article and a few of the pieces she
highlights is the attempt to bridge any sort of binary opposition that
keeps us from moving past impasses.  (I do hope Gloria reads that last
sentence twice before she once again lumps me in with a bunch of dwems
and canonists.)
  Glad to see this discussion back on a professional track, more befitting
our status as film scholars.
Harriet