SCREEN-L Archives

October 1993

From:
Aris Gerakis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Oct 1993 22:37:37 EDT
>I'm hoping this was a typo. Are you accusing over 7 million people of
>being psychotic, in other words, out of touch with reality? I have heard
>other people accuse New Yorkers of being neurotic, but psychotic? Come on.

Laurence,

I meant "neurotic," I guess.  Sorry for my poor psychology background.
Are you disputing neurotic, too?  My point is that, based on Woody Allen's
movies alone, and I have seen almost all of them, this is what one may come
to believe, barring other information.  A fascinating community?  Yes, I
believe that, too.  I don't see a contradiction here.

If you want a much broader context for a discussion, this is it:  Does film
affect out perception of places and people of which we have little or no
experience?  I think, cinematography is all about make-believe.  That was
the secret of its success, from "Intolerance" (I believe the oldest film I
have seen) to "Jurassic Park."

Aris