SCREEN-L Archives

October 1993

From:
Joey Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Oct 1993 11:56:13 -0400
Pam Wilson Writes:

>> 3. Is anyone aware of any good articles which explore the way 1950s science
fi> ction films and TV dealt with the Cold War (and especially the Red Scare)?
I > I know there must be something out there, but don't know where to start
> I'm thinking of screening the 50's Invasion of the Body Snatchers or
> something similar. Ideas? Please?

An okay book that deals with how 1950's films deal with the Cold War is the
anthology _American History/American Film:  Interpreting the Hollywood Image_
Editied by John E. O'Connor and Martin A. Jackson.  This book is published by
Frederick Ungar Publishing Company in New York, 1979.  The ISBN is
0-8044-2263-5 or 0-8044-6616-5 (paperback version).

The essays that are relevent to your course are:

Paul J. Vanderwood's "An Amercian Cold Warrior:  _VIVA ZAPATA!_  (1952)

Stuart Samuel's, "The age of Conspriacy and Conformity: _INVASION OF THE BODY
SNATCHERS (1956)_"

Lawerence Suid's "The Pentagon and Hollywood: _DR. STRANGELOVE OR:  HOW
I LEARNED TO STOP WORRYING AND LOVE THE BOMB"

Someone on this list suggested that you also look at _2010:  The Year We Maske
Contact_ (1984) as another film that deals with the Cold War, 80's style.  The
film is not as good as the Kuberick original, but it is an OK film and I thik
it would be useful to use to show the developement of Hollywood's depiction of
U.S.A. Soviet relations from the 1950's until the end of the Cold War.

Joey Schwartz
Cinema Studies, University of Toronto

=  Joey Schwartz                (416) 966-0593          =
=  120 Madison Avenue           [log in to unmask]         =
=  Toronto,Ontario              [log in to unmask]    =
=  Canada, M5R 2S5          [log in to unmask]   =