SCREEN-L Archives

September 1993

From:
Mark Ritchie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Sep 1993 08:46:13 EDT
On Fri, 17 Sep 1993 10:53:20 +22304700 Philip Jackson said:
>We recently acquired a 16 mm print of Robert Bresson's Mouchette from
>Festival Films that is 81 mins long (2907 feet).
>
>Does anyone know if there is more than one version of this film?
>The Monthly Film Bulletin gives its running time as 90 min. This appears
>to have been repeated in The Films of Robert Bresson (Movie Paperbacks,
>1969), Time Out, and Bloomsbury's Foreign Film Guide. Further searching
>reveals that the original Variety review in 1967 gives the running time as
>85 min., the Motion Picture Guide gives 80 min, and a filmography in the
>1973 edition of the International Film Guide gives 82 min.
>
>We are not aware that any of Bresson's films exist in other than a single
>version. Is Mouchette an exception?

Criterion/New Cinema who distribute Mouchette in Canada list two versions
on film, both 16mm and 35mm.
One is 83 minutes, French with English Subtitles, the other is 85,
minutes, French only.  The videocassette version for sale is 90 minutes,
French with English subtitles.
The only explanation I can think of is that the various censor boards
have had their way with it.  Since Videocassettes haven't been subject
to censorship in Ontario due to a recent court ruling, I would suspect
that the 90+ minute version is the original.

Mark Ritchie                   | Tel: (519) 888-4070
Media Librarian                | Fax: (519) 888-6197
Audio-Visual Centre            |
University of Waterloo         | Internet: [log in to unmask]

"I was just out of college and still believed in
classifications and catagories" -  Jean Renoir