SCREEN-L Archives

September 1993

From:
Robert Withers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Sep 1993 21:50:17 EDT
On Wed, 8 Sep 1993 11:50:05 EDT Julie Simon said:
>I'm set to teach a film literacy class next semester and I'm looking
>for text recommendations.  Everything I own is out of print already.
>
>I need a text that talks specifically about visual and audio content
>editing and montage.
>
>Using...examples of commercially accessable films.
>
>Please e-mail me any ideas you might have.
>
>Thanks..
>
>Julie Simon
>Univ. of Baltimore

      I like using Louis Giannetti's _Understanding Movies_ in my introductory
classesat Brooklyn College.  It covers all the necessary bases, from cinemato
graphy to theory, has an in-depth analysis of Citizen Kane, montage frames from
 Potemkin, storyboards from North By Northwest, etc.  It seems more accessible
than some of the other so-called introductions to film.  A big plus is the pro
fusion of still photos, with enlightening captions, that cover the classics and
also many recent foreign and Hollywood films.  The cover of the Sixth Edition
is a still from Edward Scissorhands, for example.  I think it feels contempor
ary to students, but still has lots of substance.  I usually start an intro
course with the chapters in the second half of the book on narrative and screen
play, and then work back to the technical stuff and then wind up with theory
and ideology.
sign

ROBERT WITHERS
FILM DEPARTMENT              THAT WAS ZEN, THIS IS TAO . . .
BROOKLYN COLLEGE
BROOKLYN, NEW YORK 11210
(718) 951-5664