SCREEN-L Archives

August 1993

From:
Timothy Garrand <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Aug 1993 10:31:38 -0400
In the last couple years, I've started using new technologies as teaching tools
 in my film and TV classes. My most successful experiment to date is writing an
 interactive computer tutorial on film and TV analysis, FILM/TV ANALYSIS: THE
 MEANING OF THE MOVING IMAGE. I was inspired to write this tutorial becauses I
 was tired of spending too much time in my film and TV criticism classes
 defining and redefining basic terms, such as framing and panning, and too
 little time actually using these terms to analyze film and TV. My DOS based
 computer tutorial provides succinct descriptions of each concept, gives an
 example, and then quizzes students on what they have read. I they are
 incorrect, it gives the correct answers, shows them the concept and example
 again, and refers them to the proper page in the class text. Students seem to
 love working with this, and it radically improved the speed in which the class
 mastered basic concepts, allowing us to move on to actually using these con!
cepts much sooner.
If you are a professor, you can get a free copy of this tutorial by calling the
 publisher, Academic Sor FAX/International 607-588-6385. Leave your college
 address and the size IBM disc you want (3.5 or 5.25).
What similar projects are others working on or using in your classes? I am a
 SCRIPT-L member or you can reach me directly at [log in to unmask] I'll look
 forward to reading your e-mail responses, but I will be at the UFVA confeence
 in Philadelphis this week and on vacation after that, so I will probably note
 be able to respond until the end of the month.
Tim Garrand
Communication Department, New England College