SCREEN-L Archives

July 1993

Date:
Fri, 23 Jul 1993 08:58:39 -0500
Cal,

Thanks for the update on the It's A Wonderful Life copyright situation with
Republic. It'll be fascinating to keep an eye on how that one proceeds.

I'll only add here one unrelated sidenote of a laserdisc aficionado: Currently,
Republic has available the best home video version of the film on disc. The
quality of the picture is better than Criterion's, and the sound, though still
pretty compromised, is as good as it's ever been on video. I have the version
Republic released at $30.00; they recently did a "45th anniversary" edition
with extras for a higher price, and I don't know whether it's the same transfer
or not.

Jeff Clark
James Madison Univ.