SCREEN-L Archives

May 1993

From:
Bonnie J Dow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 May 1993 12:58:45 -600
My experience in Television is critical rather than production or industry
oriented, and here's some suggestions from that angle. If you want to be
really progressive you should probably deal with reception research, which
has both its good and bad points. One of the best examples of reception
research is Andrea Press's book WOMEN WATCHING TELEVISION. For a
collection of essays that critique reception research see the June 1990
issue of CRITICAL STUDIES IN MASS COMMUNICATION. Actually, CSMC has lately
been just a motherlode of interesting stuff dealing with issues
within the field of mass comm. There are quite a few good analyses of
television sprinkled throughout the last two or three years of the
journal. Another good book that deals with women in Mass Comm (my primary
interest) is Helen Baehr and Gillian Dyer's BOXED IN: WOMEN AND
TELEVISION, a collection of essays on production, technology and
criticism of television.
Bonnie Dow, North Dakota State Univ.