SCREEN-L Archives

April 1993

From:
Buck Jordan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Apr 1993 11:45:13 -0400
        I feel that while the savagery of the indian tribes of North
America may be a matter of historical record, so is that of eurpoean and
asian cultures--past and present.  I feel that savagery, if I may be
permitted to wax philosophical, is part and parcel of the human species.
        What about _A Man Called Horse_?  One sees the elements of savagery,
yet the most poignant moments are those of ritual--the rite of passage,
the mourning scene, --.  Or even better, --my favorite-- _Dances With
Wolves_.  The Lakota Sioux only use that savagery which is necessary for
the continuation of the tribe.  However, there is the Pawnee who kill
the mule train driver in order to gain some trophy for their trail.  And
I suppose I cannot forget the fact that even the Lakota Sioux send out a war
party.  But it seems to me that the war parties are only a part of the natural
rhythms of the plain-indian culture.  Something which happens for a set
period of time and then ends.  European culture, on the other hand . . .
        I feel that PC has one of its few positive repercussions in this
area--that of Amerindians in film.  It seems to me that the tribes were,
on the whole, more "civilized" than their European counterparts, and only
now are we beginning to see that fact.
                        Buck