SCREEN-L Archives

April 1993

From:
Gayle Gleason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Apr 1993 15:14:24 EST
 I, too was disappointed by this women in film hypocrasy.  First, the
 film clips montage they should began with a bunch of brides...I wasn't
 sure if I should have been insulted by it or not.  Then, there was the
 Liza number (what the hell was the producer thinking when they put her
 in that Donna Karran pant suit from the 70s???) entitled "Ladies Night",
 jeezzz!  Then, as mentioned before, was the glossed over explaination
 about women editors....the only thing GOOD about that, though, was that
 then they showed all those movies editted by women...and an impressive
 group of movies it was!  After that, I thought, well hey, maybe that will
 encourage young women and girls to go into editting (assuming, of
 course that they don't reallize that the only reason so many good pictures
 were editted by women is because it was considered menial labor at one time).

 I was encouraged by Emma Thompson's and Barbra Striesand's speeches though,
 I wondered WHY more people didn't voice the same opinion.

 my 2 cents,

   Gayle Gleason