SCREEN-L Archives

April 1993

From:
Beth Hutchison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Apr 1993 10:28:59 -0700
I'd suggest that a key question regarding the search for depictions of
American Indians is:  sympathetic to whom?  That is, the depictions in
"Dances with Wolves" may be kinder, gentler Indians, and therefore
seemingly sympathetic (which I take to mean ones which a mainstream
[white] audience can empathize with) -- but what of reactions by
contemporary American Indians?

A review by David Seals (author of "Powwow Highway") takes issue with the
"Dances with Wolves" mentality; a stereotype is still a stereotype, even if
substituting "noble" qualities for "savage" ones.  I'd add that the
stereotype is promulgated by "outsiders" for political reasons divorced
from the concerns of the group being depicted.

At least one book-length survey of depictions of Am.Indians in film
exists; I could provide biblio information if that would be useful.

Wishing your student good luck with the project--

Beth Hutchison