SCREEN-L Archives

April 1993

Date:
Wed, 7 Apr 1993 13:36:08 EDT
*
*     The INdians WERE savage fighters and vicious and cruel torturers
*     (there is good reason for the recurring Western theme  to "save
*     the last bullet for yourself to avoid capture"). but then, so
*     were lots of groups back then (and even today - have we learned
*     nothing???)
*     Gary Parsons
*
This is a fairly accurate statement. On the other hand, if you were lied to,
cheated, raped, killed, and farmed into useless hovels of "reservation" land,
you'd be pissed too.
Native Americans did a fair bit of sniping on hapless colonists who got lost
or ventured too far from the settlement, but when it came to "the settlers"
and "the indians" one group vastly out-crueled the other.

An interesting parallel (off the top of my head...please comment on whether
you think it's actually parallel) might well be the troubles in Bosnia. One
group wants the land, and wants everybody currently on it out. To effect
this change, they're doing some truly awful things. The Muslims are meting
out their share of cruel counterpunishment, but on balance the Serbs are
exhibiting far more ugliness.
I guess the colonists feared the unknown, while Serbians and Muslims are
pretty well acquainted.

--
Mark Bunster                      |I'm a Christian, and my ears are not
Survey Research Lab--VCU          |garbage cans.