SCREEN-L Archives

April 1993

Date:
Tue, 6 Apr 1993 16:32:41 EDT
*
* Spike is chillin at the joint and playin some hoops?
* What is this supposed to mean, exactly?  Is this an accurate description of
 what
*    Spike lee is doing or is it a cut on African-American culture and language?
* If this is actually what spike has been doing please excuse my ignorance.
*

You left out option three--
a jovial use of African American culture and language.
Perhaps Spike doesn't actually like basketball, but it would be kind of odd
seeing as how he surrounds himself with pro players and makes commericals
with him hanging at the courts with friends.
Spike's films are called "joints"--I took the usage of "chillin at the joint"
to mean working on film projects wherever he happens to do that.

Thus--to answer the question, what happened to Spike Lee,

"Maybe he's hanging out working and playing with his friends, trying not to be
offended that he got dissed by the Academy."

Ooops. Dissed is a black culture word. Can't use that cause I'm white.
There I go, being racist again.
what a bummer--can't ignore black culture, can't embrace it either.

--
Mark Bunster                      |I'm a Christian, and my ears are not
Survey Research Lab--VCU          |garbage cans.