SCREEN-L Archives

April 1993

From:
Jason Longo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Apr 1993 16:01:30 -0400
I too am fascinated by the show COPS, but am disturbed by the fact it
sensationalizes a job which is a lot more boring than the show makes it out to
be.  I heard that the shooting ration for COPS is approximately 100:1.
     About a month ago I saw an episode in which 5 cops tackled an
Afro-American woman accused of burgulary.  It took all five police officers
to take this woman, who was trying to cooperate, to the ground.  It was
an amazing sight, and I could not help but be reminded of the Rodney King
incident.  However, what made this scene different was that the officers
were empowered by the presence of the camera.  They almost seemed to be
overreacting to the entire incident only because the camera was there. I
think that, especially in the wake if Rodney King,  a show like COPS can
be dangerous in that it reaffirms the authorative position of police
and disempowers the criminals, who should be innocent until proven guilty.
JL