SCREEN-L Archives

April 1993

Date:
Sun, 25 Apr 1993 10:26:26 EDT
Personally, Jane Banks' comment about the implicit anti-semitism
in calling shows like Seinfeld "neurotic" caused a little soul-
searching myself when I make such comments.  I really hadn't
thought about it in that way.

However, part of the explanation for me (although maybe not the
whole explanation) is that sometimes Seinfeld causes the same
reaction in me that The Honeymooners does: shows about people
who really make terrible decisions that screw up their lives
(Ralph: "If we can make $100 doing it this way, I KNOW we can
make $1000 doing it THIS way!"  Alice: "I don't know about this
Ralph") pains me sometimes (even though it can be funny).  So
the episodes of Seinfeld that I considered neurotic were not
the ones where the characters complained a lot, but rather where
they made horrible relationship or job decisions.

Whaddya think?

Matt McAllister, Virginia Tech