SCREEN-L Archives

April 1993

From:
Buck Jordan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Apr 1993 13:24:32 -0400
To those interested:
        Just saw An Indecent Porposal last night, and watching Redford
brought to mind his role as Jay Gatsby in The Great Gatsby....I think that
there might be a good comparison/contrast between Proposal's John Gage
and Gatsby...what do you think?? A few thoughts:

Neither Gatsby nor Gage Acquire what they both set out to obtain:
        True Love...
What price do the respective billionaires pay for their desires?
        Gatsby pays his life, and Gage, well...
I think it can be argued that both films are period morality plays,
and that Proposal has a sunnier conclusion.  Although it dragged, and
*WHOOPS--break in thought*   Although it dragged in parts, I liked the
way Gage sees David & Diane's love for what it is, and is able to let
her go without spite on his behalf--kind of idealized, I'll admit...

Can Gage be called a better man than Gatsby?   Or should he be despised
for his gall to propose and carry out his action... I dunno just yet

Who is the bigger boor?  Gage for proposing, or David and Diane for
accepting?  This, I feel is the issue that makes Proposal a morality play
for the 90's...

Just a few random thots...Comment and criticism are welcome...and expected:)

Buck
Georgia Southern University