SCREEN-L Archives

April 1993

From:
Amanda G Aaron <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Apr 1993 15:13:17 EDT
Henry Jenkins' posting about the evolution of media studies places many
issues that have been on my mind recently into a broader context.  As a
film lover, finishing my undergraduate degree in history and English
and about to begin a Master's in Cinema Studies, I have begun to search
for my own place ideologically within the growing cannon of film
studies.

As perhaps a member of the third group Henry Jenkins described, I have
absorbed a good deal of the theory from the first two groups.  In my
own work, it is essential for me to preserve the fan-dome of the
auteurs and resist removing myself too far from the source of reward
for the work--love of movies.  Also, as a member of this latter
generation, I take for granted much of the politically motivated theory
in my work, and don't feel the need to belabor that aspect in search of
legitimacy;  that has been pretty well established, in my view.

Another important issue for me involves attempting to avoid much of the
jargon-ridden emptiness that plagues too much of the academic criticm
out there, as cinema studies struggles for acceptance by the academic
orthodoxy.  The incredible gap between mainstream journalistic
criticism and academic critism remains a source of great personal
frustration, but I'm not sure how to approach closing that gap.

Amanda Aaron