SCREEN-L Archives

April 1993

From:
Jeremy Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Apr 1993 11:28:26 CST
    Thanks to everyone for their considered comments on the possible
    moderation of SCREEN-L.

    The consensus of the group is that SCREEN-L should not be moderated,
    but that some form of guidance would be useful.  Several persons
    suggested a restatement of SCREEN-L's principles on a regular basis
    would help clarify what are and are not appropriate types of messages.

    Accordingly, I will post today a "declaration of principles," which I
    will also post on the first of each month to remind SCREEN-L veterans
    and inform new SCREEN-Litarians.  Please let me know if this
    "declaration" is on target.

    I will also include in this post some guidelines for managing a
    subscription to SCREEN-L:  signing on/off, arranging for digests,
    suspending your mail, etc.

    As I was researching the possibility of moderating SCREEN-L I learned
    that a new feature ("filtering") has been added to our software that
    could allow for suspension of posting privileges for persons who
    persistently send inappropriate messages to SCREEN-L.  I don't want to
    become the SCREEN-L Cop, but I thought SCREEN-Litarians should know
    that this level of enforcement is available.

    Again, thanks to all who sent comments on this issue.  It pleased me to
    hear that folks are mostly happy with the free fall of messages on
    SCREEN-L.  It's an arrangement that I much prefer over moderation and
    I'm glad to hear that you do too.

    Feel free to send me any further thoughts on this or any other issue
    related to SCREEN-L.

    --Jeremy

 | Jeremy Butler                                                          |
 | SCREEN-L Coordinator                     [log in to unmask] |
 | Telecommunication & Film Dept * The University of Alabama * Tuscaloosa |