SCREEN-L Archives

April 1993

From:
Mark Ritchie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Apr 1993 10:21:20 EDT
The proceedings of the 3rd Joint Technical Symposium on Archiving The
Audio-Visual Heritage have been published. (I just received mine).
ISBN 1 873902 02 6  Editor George Boston 192pp  illus.

It should be available from the National Archives, Audio-Visual Section
and the Library of Congress.  Sorry I don't have a price.

It has an excellent explanation of the processes in volved in "Vinegar
Syndrome" and the degradation of Polyester based stock.  It also has
sections on optical media and cd-rom preservation.

Session titles :-

Problems Facing Archives and Long Term Storage in Countries with Adverse
 Conditions
Breakdown of the Components of Signal Carriers with Age
Stability and Preservation of Image Layers in Photographic Film
Deterioration of Polymers in Audio-Visual Materials
Simulated Aging of Processed Cellulose Triacetate Motion Picture Films
The Archival Stability of Metal Particle Tapes
The Life Expectancy of Optical Recordings
A Study of the Preservation of Compact Discs
New Carriers
Do We Have Format Standards Suitable for Long Term Storage of
 Audio-Visual and Film Materials?
The Practice of Signal Carrier Restoration
A Comparison of the Restoration of a Nitrate Film by Traditional Methods
 and by the Use of Digital Videotape
Is a Multi-Media Format or System for Audio-Visual Materials a Practical
 Proposition?
Consultation of Users and Manufacturers of Technical Equipment

Mark Ritchie                   | Tel: (519) 888-4070
Media Librarian                | Fax: (519) 888-6197
Audio-Visual Centre            |
University of Waterloo         | Internet: [log in to unmask]