SCREEN-L Archives

March 1993

Date:
Fri, 12 Mar 1993 18:06:30 EST
I don't want my reading of TR as a film about popular entertainment or a film
within a film to become a catch-all for explaining all the flaws within the
movie. But, I don't see why we assume that the representation of Martian life
in "Blue Skies Over Mars" need to be realistic, plausible, or accurate given
the status of those images as a commercially marketed simulation. Arnold as
a consumer may not give a damn whether you could have blue skies over mars or
 whether the dome could shatter. He wants to buy excitement, adventure,
 erroticism. He cares if his fantasy conforms to and gratifies genre
 expectation. Once
we are in the dream frame, then normal SF criteria of scientific accuracy
or plausability seem beside the point.

--Henry