SCREEN-L Archives

March 1993

From:
Joe Camacho <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Mar 1993 07:57:05 PST
Enter your message below. Press CTRL/Z when complete, or CTRL/C to quit:
It seems to me that al lot of time is spent discussing the gimmick of Crying
Game and not much of the substance. Dil and Fergus are caught in the same
crisis of identity. One's political, the other's sexual. To me the center of
the film is the humanity of Fergus and not the sexuality of Dil. Fergus is
trapped in a political ideology that is restrictive and immasculates his
internal human core. The issue is not whether we seek solace in going to bed
with someone of the same or opposite sex be they in the same boat as us or
not but whether we can go to bed at night with ourself knowing that we have
held true to our beliefs and not compromised ourself to a more powerful
restrictive order. One can run on and on about this much like the Crying Game
does and much like the previous discussion on it.