SCREEN-L Archives

February 1993

Date:
Mon, 22 Feb 1993 18:57:11 -0400
>I was not trying to imply that journalists simply give up
>but that they stop using the ideal of objectivity as a
>smokescreen to disguise their bias or the bias  of their
>employer.  This only creates an illusion of truth which is
>then sent out to hundreds of thousands of people who accept
>it as absolute.

Few would dispute the apparent political agenda of the broadcast media,
but I've come to believe less and less that it's deliberate. They don't
use objectivity as a smokescreen; rather they mistake their assumptions
for truth (What I feel to be true must be true). And I think there's an
inherent political bias in the very nature of the medium -- TV news deals
with short bursts of emotional imagery rather than rigorous extended
debate -- thus the "liberal" leaning.  As for Mencken's "booboisie,"
I suppose  there'll always  be those willing to eat what's dished out to
them.  That's not likely to change.

kjf