SCREEN-L Archives

February 1993

Date:
Mon, 22 Feb 1993 12:21:53 -0400
>As people educated in the field of communications,
>I hope we realize that objectivity is a farce.

And I hope *you* realize that broad, apocalyptic statements
like that don't exactly deepen the discussion.

"Objectivity," like "happiness" or "peace on earth" is an abstract
ideal, impossible either to quantify or to fulfil.  We know we'll
never be perfectly happy or perfectly peaceful, yet we don't stop
seeking happiness and peace.  The essence of objectivity is the
continuous striving to do the best we can, rather than despair over
the impossibility of the goal.

What else can we do?

kjf-