SCREEN-L Archives

February 1993

From:
Notley M Maddox <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Feb 1993 22:29:33 EST
Regarding the emergence of HDTV in both Europe and the U.S. (as well as Japan,
one would suppose), the sale to the public, I would think, would be quite a bit
more difficult in Europe than here in the States.  The reason(s) being that the
American television system in visibly inferior now to the one used in Europe.
During the TV standardization craze back when it was being studied by FCC, the
U.S. approved a different, lower-resolution standardiztion than did its
European counterparts.  Europe approved more lines and a wider screen (I'm
pretty sure) than was approved here and, of course, got the better definition
on TV.

Another possible reason for its dubious chances at success in Europe is that
Europe is already fairly intra-connected, country to country, and the present
system allows for more connections to be made as Europe converges into one
entity.  While HDTV may be a bit better, overall, would Europe really go for it
when its system is already adequate (and actually GOOD)?  (Also, they're not as
hyped about tv and gadgets and the like as we Yankees.)

Notley (Matt) Maddox
Michigan State Univ.