SCREEN-L Archives

February 1993

From:
"Dr. Joseph Chuk" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Feb 1993 12:32:37 -0500
Help! I'm trying to introduce a course on electronic media ethics, dealing
primarily with the ethical responsibilities of media professionals
reletive to particular types of programming (news, entertainment,
advertising, etc.). I've already taught the course as a one-time offering
and it was well received by the students. My departmental colleagues have
approved the course with no problem, but the philosophy department is
starting a turf battle. Our college and university curriculum committees
have the power to approve or disapprove, but the philosophy people can
make passage a real problem.

Their main objection is that the subject matter makes it a philosophy
rather than a telecommunications course, and they should teach something
like it as a service, just as they teach courses in business ethics and
medical ethics for those majors. My point is that the technical aspect of
our discipline makes it very difficult for someone who is not acquainted
with either the technology or the programming processes to do the subject
justice. Obviously, the instructor also would have to have a background in
ethical theory, which I do have (no one else in our department wants the
course anyway!). [I don't think the philosophy department is developing a
media ethics course, by the way.]

Here's how you can help: Anyone who has a media ethics course in your
curriculum in a school which ALSO has a philosophy department teaching
other professional ethics courses--please let me know. I would also be
interested in knowing about any similar turf battles and effective
tactics used in winning them.

Thanks!

 JOSEPH R. CHUK            |    OFFICE PHONE    (215) 683-4491
 Associate Professor       |
 Telecommunications Dept.  |    INTERNET        [log in to unmask]
 Kutztown University       |    COMPUSERVE      76360,2476
 P.O. Box 730              |
 Kutztown, PA 19530-0730   |