SCREEN-L Archives

February 1993

Date:
Tue, 23 Feb 1993 23:05:28 -0500
Jon, I wish you wouldn't say "there's no such thing as objectivity." I'm
sure what you mean is that there is no such thing as PERFECT objectivity.
There certainly are degrees of objectivity, making objectivity a real
thing, even if not perfect. ---- "Roger & Me" is certainly the most
entertaining documentary I can think of. If you'd like for me to recommend
others...well, perhaps a few of my favorites. Frederick Wiseman's "High
School" is super, but it's hard to get your hands on a video tape to see
it. Wiseman has his own little studio thing up in the Boston area and he
charges an arm and a leg for rentals on his films. I saw "High School"
at the University of Oregon in Eugene a few summers ago and loved it.
It makes powerful statements about the manner in which students at this
high school somewhere in Pennsylvania was turning out human robots. Among
the nature documentaries, of which there must be a zillion, the one I
like best is National Geographic's "Africa's Stolen River." It's about
a river drying up in south central Africa and the impact it has on all
species of animals. The struggle for survival by the last hippotamus is
dramatic as hell. The decision of the elephant herd to give up on the
river and hike across 60 miles of desert to the nearest water is also
chillingly dramatic. (And how did the elephants know where water was?)
---- There's a recent doc I think would be really good, but haven't seen.
It's "Letters from Vietnam." Ernie.