SCREEN-L Archives

February 1993

Date:
Tue, 23 Feb 1993 13:31:41 EST
The news media is "Liberal?" I assume that those qoutation marks are intended
to qualify that statement in some Orwellian fashion as in "Freedom" is slavery.
After all, this "liberal" news media with its highly emotional images was
responsible for whiping public support for Bush and the U.S. military
 intervention into the Gulf War to absurd highs. The labeling of the news media
 as
"liberal" is an old conservative tactic. It not only allows them to deny the
narrow range of opinion expressed in most news broadcasts, but also to dismiss
any and all criticisms of current policies, no matter how muted, as further
evidence of this phantom "liberalism." I saw a recent study that indicate that
more than half of the broadcast journalists in the United States regarded
themselves to be Republicans. But, then, the GOP always was a hotbed of
"liberalism."