SCREEN-L Archives

February 1993

Date:
Sun, 21 Feb 1993 18:53:41 -0500
I disagree to the fact that the documantary maker cannot be the subject
of his of her own film.
I am currently making a film about an underpriveleged family that I am
neighbors with. During the production of the film my feelings toward

the family and toward the film have changed. In response to these
feelings I have added myself into the film outrightly. When I began the
film I had planned to let myself come through in the editing, shooting,etc.
But it has been proven to me that this was not sufficient, and my mediation in t
   he has become a part of the film itself.
Now the film has almost turned into a film about myself and my feelings
toward the subjects.
I feel that this evolution was inevitable, if I am to keep true to myself, and m
   y vision.

Jon Nealon