SCREEN-L Archives

January 1993

From:
MIKE WAKEFIELD <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jan 1993 16:15:13 -0500
Does anyone have distribution info on the film WINTER IN LISBON?
It was directed by Jose Antonio Zorilla and features,
among others,the late jazz trumpeter Dizzy Gillespie in an
acting role. Apparently, the film did not get terrific notices,
and wasn't released in this country, to my knowledge. However,
it may be worth seeing in view of Gillespie's recent passing.

I would also be interested to hear from anyone who might have
seen the film and how it might compare with other films
about jazz musicians which use actual musicians in acting roles,
such as Tavernier's ROUND MIDNIGHT with Dexter Gordon, or
PARIS BLUES, with Louis Armstrong, as opposed to efforts like
Clint Eastwood's unfortunate BIRD, or Spike Lee's highly
stylized MO' BETTER BLUES.

Hm. This is starting to sound like the beginning of a
discussion...any takers?

Mike Wakefield
Keene State College