SCREEN-L Archives

January 1993

From:
Mark Bunster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jan 1993 13:08:55 EST

> As someone who *LOVES* sports, but is also a concerned man, I think what we
> (sports-loving but concerned men) should do is clear: do all we can to change
> the culture of sports. If we host Superbowl parties this year (I'm not), keep
> the drinking to a minimum and try to invite a gender-diverse crowd (I know
> plenty of women who enjoy watching sports). Demand the same from Superbowl
> parties we attend. Put the pressure on NBC to run the public service
> announcement mentioned in the posting above. Encourage responsible fan
> behavior when we attend sporting events, and so forth.

Well, now, wait a second. I don't think forcing drinking quotas on your
friends of all sizes and making sure women are at your parties are ways to
reduce domestic violence. It's not the sport of football that encourages the
violence, it's the concept of fan identification with one team or another
(and also the money involved in gambling). If Team A wins, fans of Team B
beat their wives/girlfriends/etc. Since fan identification is in many ways
healthy and productive, and it's not easy to crack down on gambling which is
already illegal in most places, you have to attack the issue of control.
Although the Bowl is indirectly responsible because of its wide audience,
it's also the best forum for education. Get your mail out to NBC soon.

M o R