SCREEN-L Archives

December 1992

Date:
Mon, 7 Dec 1992 13:15:00 EST
Friday I picked up the videotape by the Emergency Broadcast Network
at my local alternative music store.  It's a marvelous example of
co-opting images and manipulating cultural icons.  They make a
disco number out of Mariah Carey looped into a perpetual scream
while Harrison Ford from _Patriot Games_ implores the dancers to
"Get down, get down".  In the most famous clip, you get George Bush
doing "We will, we will rock you" with bomb bursts as the percussion.
They also splice in Bill Clinton so it ends up as a duet and demonstrates
that the Network is not partisan - they'll take on anybody.  Another
clip has FDR saying "Emergency", Dan Rather (he shows up a lot) saying
"Broadcast", and Bill Clinton providing "Network".  Quite funny,
although probably offensive to the faithful of any party.  Lots of
quick edits and short loops, so you should probably take their warning
about not watching if you are adversely affected by stroboscopic images.
Given the tons of copyright violations, this might not be available for
long.  And at the very least, you can make a game of identifying the
sources of their samples.

John McIntyre
Physics - Astronomy Dept
Michigan State University