SCREEN-L Archives

December 1992

Date:
Tue, 15 Dec 1992 11:47:03 PST
Movies about Movies: The Final Reckoning

The arbitrary, narrow and capricious"official rules" called for movies "in which
 we see some aspect of the film making process...:" The response was
 overwhelming. I think that we heard from some 40% of the SCREEN-L subscribers.
 Some ingenious Screen-Lmers stumbled into a DeManic depression and de-construed
 the rules to include films about film exhibition (marked on the list with an
 E), and some truly creative souls included films about television, acting and
 still photography, most of which I threw out, in an arbitrary, narrow and
 capricious manner. Eventually, there was a mutant digression in the discussion
 thread, and it went off in the direction of champion all-time bad movies with
 no redeeming values.

Thanks to all, and best wishes for: a) Happy Hanukkah, b)Merry Christmas, c)
 Happy New Year, d) Joyous Ramadan, and e)all of the above.

-Henry Breitrose

THE LIST

8 1/2
10-30-55
A Movie
The Actress
After the Fox
Ali Baba Goes to Town
Allegro Non Troppo
American Werewolf in London (E)
The Bad and the Beautiful
Barton Fink
The Big Knife
The Big Picture
Bob Roberts
Body Double
Bonnie and Clyde (E)
Buster Keaton Story
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (E)
The Cameraman
Cinema Paradiso (E)
Come Back to the Five and Dime, Jimmy Dean
Contempt
Cow from Hell
Crimes and Misdemeanors
David Holzman's Diary
Day for Night
Day of the Locust
Death Watch
Demon-Lover Diary
Diary of David Holzman
Dracula (E)
E La Nave Va (And the Ship Sails On)
Ella Cinders
Errand Boy
Everything for Sale
Fade to Black
French Lieutenant's Woman
Fury (E)
Gable and Lombard
Good Morning, Babylon
Great Waldo Pepper
Gremlins (E)
Hardcore
Hearts of Darkness
Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer
Holiday Inn
Hollywood Boulevard
Hollywood Boulevard
Hollywood Boulevard, Part II
Hollywood Cavalcade
In Search of Famine
Inner Circle (E)
Inserts
Inside Daisy Clover
Kid Auto Races at Venice
King of Comedy
King of the Road (E)
The Last Command
The Last Movie
The Last Tycoon
Law of Desire
Lightning Over Braddock
Lightning Over Water
Man in Love
Man of Marble
Man with a Movie Camera
Man with a Thousand Faces
Medium Cool
Memories of a Waltz from Old Havana
Memories of Underdevelopment
Mephisto
Mission to Moscow (E)
Movie Crazy
Muppet Movie
My Favorite Year
Never Give a Sucker an Even Break
Over the Rainbow
Overdrawn at the Memory Bank
The Party
Passion: A Letter in 16mm
Peeping Tom
Persona
Play it Again Sam
Player
Popcorn
Pornographers
Purple Rose of Cairo (E)
Return of the Son of Gunga Din
Rocketeer
S.O.B.
Seven Minutes
Sherlock, Jr.
Sherman's March
Shock Treatment
Show People
Silent Movie
Singin' in the Rain
Star is Born
Stardust Memories
State of Things
Stoogamania
Story of the Man who Left His Will on Film
Strange Brew
Stunt Man
Sugarland Express (E)
Sullivan's Travels