SCREEN-L Archives

December 1992

From:
Mark Bunster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Dec 1992 12:04:33 EST

> One other movie in the vein that Henry mentioned is Peter
> Bogdanovitch's "Targets", about an all-American-boy type
> that starts shooting people at a drive-in theater, after
> first setting up a sniper's nest and taking out several
> more people on the road there. This is Boris Karloff's
> last movie, playing a former horror star appearing at the
> drive-in, and the movie shown there (there are clips of
> it in the film) is, I think, "The Terror". VERY good
> movie, and I was surprised at the way it ended (Karloff
> is wonderful in it!)

Actually, this wasn't Karloff's last. That honor falls to the Golden Turkey
of all time, Plan 9 From Outer Space, a wonderfully terrible film. He died
during filming, and therefore the script had to be radically changed in the
middle.

Which brings up a topic that is among my favorites in the world of film:
What are some of your favorite "bad" films? Those along the lines of the ones
parodied in Mystery Science Theatre 3000 are all good examples.
Off the top of my head, Microwave Massacre, the Devil Bat, Reform School
Girls (with wendy O Williams no less), and of course Plan 9 are some of my
favorites.

M o R