SCREEN-L Archives

December 1992

Date:
Wed, 9 Dec 1992 11:09:56 EST
What hasn't been mentioned yet, with the exception of PURPLE ROSE OF CAIRO,
are films which represent the film audience or film fan. I don't like many
of these films because I find the stereotypes they advance particularly
malignant but they do show how Hollywood thinks about its own role within
American culture. A few examples would be: KING OF COMEDY (although this is
 really about television and doesn't fit the rules), FADE TO BLACK (A horror
 film
about a crazed fan who makes sense of his world through references to horror
films), POPCORN (another horror film about horror films), STOOGAMANIA (about a
 man whose life is ruined by his obsession with The Three Stooges), COME BACK TO
THE FIVE AND DIME, JIMMY DEAN (Robert Altman's account of women's yearnings
 which includes some discussion of James Dean), A Richard Thomas Film dealing
 with the death of James Dean (forgott the title but I would actually recommend
 it).
See also films such as THE ERRAND BOY (Jerry Lewis) and ALI BABA GOES TO TOWN
(Eddie Cantor) about people who want to work in Hollywood. Or What do we do
about a film like OVERDRAWN AT THE MEMORY BANK about a man who gets stuck in
a virtual reality world based on CASABLANCA? And speaking of CASABLANCA, has
anyone mentioned PLAY IT AGAIN SAM (Woody Allen as a film critic)?

--Henry Jenkins