SCREEN-L Archives

November 1992

Date:
Tue, 3 Nov 1992 15:33:00 EST
An interesting thing noted on viewing a videotape:
The movie "Slap Shot" - single greatest hockey movie ever -
on its theatrical release, and also, I believe, in the prints
shown on TV, prominently featured a semi-disco hit that was
very big in the late 70's called, I think "We Gotta Get Right
Back to Where We Started From". Anyone who saw this movie
could not miss this tune - it was played throughout, largely
in scenes showing the Charlestown Chiefs traveling on the
team bus, and also played on the closing credits.
    However, on the videotape of "Slap Shot", while every-
thing else remains exactly the same, the song has changed -
and been replaced by one that has almost the exact same
beat, same tune - very close to the original song, but
definitely not the same.
    Any clues on what happened here? My guess is that some-
how, between the original release and the release on tape,
the studio somehow lost the rights to the song and decided
to replace it with a similar one.
    I have heard of this happening before with regard to
actual soundtrack recordings - where a film is released with
songs on the soundtrack, but the studio does not have the
rights to release the song on the soundtrack recording.
However, I don't remember ever seeing a switch in the music
from movie to videotape like this.  Any thoughts??

Sally Waters          /  "When the final showdown came to pass
Queen of Reference    /  A law book was no good..."
Stetson Law Library   /  --Gene Pitney, "The Man Who Shot
St. Petersburg, FL    /  Liberty Valance"
(waters@stetson)      /