SCREEN-L Archives

November 1992

Date:
Mon, 9 Nov 1992 15:26:00 EST
All I know is that here, at Ithaca College, the only way we have
maintained use of our 16mm cameras is the fact that we have a dept here
that does all the repairs on all of our equipment.
We have Filmos, Bolexes, CP-16s, Arri-Bls, Arri-Ss, and perhaps even more
upper level cameras. These days the only way to preserve these things is
to be able to it all yourself.
However, it is probably only a matter of time before all of the film
schools switch over to video. Let's face it, it costs less, more easily
accessible, and most Americans don't realize that there is a difference.
Unfortunately, if you haven't been building up expertise and equipment
stores, and don't process your own film, the chances of it happening now
with the mere pretext of saving the 16mm program, it probably won't
happen.
Sorry to be so down about it. I recently bought a Bolex from a man who had
run an independent production company for twenty years or so. He was selling
all his 16mm stuff in order to change to video, because the public wanted
cost effectiveness, and actually preferred video as a medium.
Sarah
Ithaca College