SCREEN-L Archives

September 1992

Date:
Mon, 28 Sep 1992 10:07:00 EST
>From: [log in to unmask]
>
>Sue suggests that she would like to do her Master's Thesis on fan culture
>"but the field seems to be getting crowded. What's left to explore?" I
>know the feeling. I am currently writing a few more essays about fandom for
>a book I am co-authoring with John Tulloch (DOCTOR WHO: THE UNFOLDING TEXT)
>and then would like to personally give the topic a rest. I hear all the time
>now of grad students who are working on this topic and it is trully gratifying.
>I think we should get together as a group or mailing list to talk about issues
>of common interest, etc. I know at least one person who is trying to put
>together an anthology of academic work on fandom,

        Who is it, so I can be on the look-out?

>though my desire would be
>to break down the bareer between academic and fan by getting fans to contribute
>as well.

        You're at MIT, there must be way you could start a list from there?

>Despite all of the renewed interest, however, I think there is still
>plenty of room for more research. So far, much of the writing has centered on
>Slash (homoerotic stories) which represent simply one subgenre of fan writing.
>Both Camille Bacon-Smith and I offer very different models of the genre
>traditions of fandom, but little work has been done to develop some of the
>other traditions more fully.

        Yes...I'm getting tired of slash. From the articles I've read, you'd
think it was all that's being written. The idea of slash is interesting, but
there are other kinds of stories.

>Every fandom or form of fan culture poses its
>own theoretical problems

        Could you give some exaamples of a theoretical problem posed by a
particular fandom because I'm not sure I know what you mean.

>I want to know more about the mechanics and institutions of fan
>publishing.

        Do you mean the implications of copyright law?

>And then, of course, there is the possability of applying different
>theoretical models to talk about this process.

        Such as? I really am new to this. What kinds of theoretical models
are there to choose from?

>There is more to be done, as someone suggested, on computer nets
>and fandom.

        Like Strek-L or do you mean suing e-mail to transmit stories?

> Sue also askes, "Do you know if zines are on the menu for any upcoming
>conferences?" I'm not sure whether you mean fan cons (at which zines are always
>on the menu if you know where to look) or academic conventions.

        I meant academic ones, but since you mention fan cons, are you going
to Vision '92 in Chicago?

>This is the
>curse of having a foot in both camps. I know that I will be speaking on
>Gay, Lesbian and Bisexual fans of ST at the CONSOLING PASSIONS conference
>next spring at USC. Last year, there were several fan related papers
>presented and the conference as a whole was outstanding, one of the best
>I have ever attended. I strongly recommend to everyone on the list who is
>interested in feminism and television going to Consoling Passions. You can
>write to Lynn Spigel at USC for info.
>
>HENRY JENKINS

        Are TV and feminism the focus of the conference? It sounds like
something to do with romance novels.

                        Sue