SCREEN-L Archives

May 1992

From:
Christian Taube <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 May 1992 18:55:00 PDT
OK, here goes.  It's not much, but this is not thoroughly
researched, and it's been a while since I've seen any of these.
But it's a place to start.  There's more references within some
of these books.

-----------

Russell Campbell, Cinema Strikes Back: Radical Filmmaking in the
United States, 1930 - 1942.  (Ann Arbor: U Michigan Press, 1982)

[Thanks, Jeremy, for pointing this one out again.  I _was_ aware
of it, as a matter of fact.  It was presented as a thesis at North-
western in 1978.  So far, it seems to be the only published book
devoted solely to the subject.]

Joel Stewart Zuker, Ralph Steiner, Filmmaker and Still Photographer.
(New York: Arno Press, 1978)  [Steiner was, IMHO, the best _filmmaker_
in the group and its periphery.]

Ralph Steiner, A Point of View. (Middleton: Wesleyan UP, 1978)

Kazan on Kazan, by Michel Ciment. (New York: Viking, 1974)  [The first
chapter of this contains Elia Kazan's recollections of his work with
Nykino.]

Lewis Jacobs, The Documentary Tradition (New York: Hopkinson and Blake,
1971)  [Has some material in the 1940s section.]

Richard Meran Barsam, Nonfiction Film, A Critical History. (???)
[Also has a separate 1930s/40s section with relevant material.]

In addition, I know that there's a collection of articles for a book
in the works in Germany; however, the publication date for this is
unclear.  I'm unaware of any articles in journals written on the
subject.  Jeremy, do you know of any?  Or anybody?

---------

That's it.

Christian.
--
(if you are looking for the bilder deep your ear on the movietone!) FW 062.08
----- Christian Taube -- [log in to unmask] + [log in to unmask] -----