SCREEN-L Archives

May 1992

Date:
Tue, 26 May 1992 14:50:48 EDT
>Eric, your statement about enjoyable reflections and water images
> intrigues me. The synaethesia I was thinking about is the way
> "the Player" uses so many window and other glass reflections.
> The still photographer Lee Friedlander has done a lot of work
> that incorprates this kind of double image as a statement about
> the many levels of meaning and value that exist in everything.
> I see, Icy, red sea, wine glass, water glass
> How about a contest to determine the scene from the Player
> that has the most things happening at once!

Another sign of June fecundity, I think, in light (ahem) of your
comments, is her desire to photograph Mill *through* a distorting
medium and his own dubiety about whether or not her picture of
him is really of him.  The greatest clarity in this movie seems
good to me when it is direct (Bruce Willism breaking the glass)
but bad when it is actually *through* a transmitting medium, like
a window, film, facsimile machine, portable phone.  We are too
easily fooled into thinking our media transparent, *The Player*
seems to say, and thus they can trap us.  This is, in a way,
an "up" version of *Blow-Up*, no?
Eric

Eric Rabkin                [log in to unmask]
Department of English      [log in to unmask]
University of Michigan     office: 313-764-2553
Ann Arbor MI 48109-1045    dept  : 313-764-6330