SCREEN-L Archives

April 1992

Date:
Wed, 29 Apr 1992 11:33:22 PDT
[log in to unmask] writes:
>         Andrea, please keep posting to the list!

I'm glad that so many people are interested in keeping this
discussion public. I don't feel like I'm alone in my interests.
Thanks!!

>         Andrea (I think) mentioned the tendency in cross-overs to use QL to
> fix Catherine's death in B&B. Do a lot of zines focus on fixing problems
> within their series? I ask because I've noticed that Blake's 7 zines seem
> preoccupied with circumventing the deaths of Cally and Blake (but not Gan -
> probably because he died on screen and the others disappeared), and finding
> a way for everyone (or at least Avon, Vila, and Blake) to survive the
> massacre in the series finale...

Yes, right now I'm finishing a story in which a they are using
Ironhorse from War of the Worlds (tv show) and Sam to get Al from
Vietnam (in one QL episode it turns out AL gave up repatriation, so
Sam could save his brother, Tom). I haven't finished the story yet.
But I find it interesting that they are using QL and other Vietnam
associated characters to reward Al for his sacrifice.

>         Who have you talked to? Are a lot of people researching fandom
> and fanzines?

When I went to Consol-ing Passions ealier this month. There was a
whole panel on fandom. Cinda Gillilan from U of Ariz. and Henry
Jenkins presented work. Some people from Northwestern were suppose
to present but got held up. Constance Penley attended. And given the
comments and questions, most everyone who attended the panel seemed
to be up on the material and concepts. It was quite exciting!!

Cheers:

andrea
Andrea MacDonald
[log in to unmask] (Internet)