SCREEN-L Archives

April 1992

From:
Jeremy Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Apr 1992 13:38:26 CDT
My last post about film credits databases got so long I forgot to get to
the grousing part.

My Dream Database would be a huge collection of film credits that listed
every film since TRAIN ARRIVING IN A STATION, with full cast and credits
naturally.  But the film databases that I have seen have left me so
disheartened that I'd be happy to get an electronic version of Leonard
Maltin's TV MOVIES.

Thoughts of the Dream Database have been stirred up again by the second
announcement I've received for HOLLYWARE FILM CREDITS database.  I mean,
here is a database of only 4,000 films (Maltin covers almost
20,000--though only briefly) that goes back no further than 1980!
The cost:

$400

Granted, HOLLYWARE FILM CREDITS is a database PROGRAM (for Mac or
Windows) and not just raw data, but, criminy, $400?

This brings up the whole issue of how much computer users are going to
have to pay to access information in the alleged "information age".
Compu$erve, for instance, has a movie database that comes from Magill's
encyclopedias.  But one must pay extra (beyond CIS's $12 per hour
connect time fee) for each movie you request information on.  (And,
incidently, this money does not go to the authors of the critiques of
the films.  I know because I discovered four of my reviews on
there--which had been used without my being informed.  I am not the
copyright holder on them so they didn't need to ask my permission, but
still...)

At the University of Alabama, where I am based, we are given free access
to all the computer time we wish (to my surprise we are even granted
free printing privileges) and SCREEN-L is run on the University's
mainframe at no charge.  I know that many of you on SCREEN-L enjoy
similar privileges.  But I can only wonder:
How long will this continue?  When will the purse strings get so tight
that these perquisites will be cut?

I know, I know.  Now I'm starting to rant.

I just think it's important to remember the COST of information as well
as the POWER of information.  Computers and computer nets have so far
not delivered on the promise of democratization of information.  The
power-brokers are becoming the information-brokers.

My!  Somebody get that soapbox out from under my feet.  How'd it get
there anyway?

          Louisiana state Rep. Carl Gunter, opposing an exception to an
          anti-abortion bill for victims of incest:  "Inbreeding is
          how we get championship horses."

|                                      | BITNET   :        JBUTLER@UA1VM |
| Jeremy G. Butler - - - - - - - - - - | Internet : [log in to unmask] |
| SCREEN-L Coordinator                 | GEnie    :           J.BUTLER27 |
| Telecommunication & Film Dept * The University of Alabama * Tuscaloosa |