SCREEN-L Archives

March 1992

Date:
Thu, 5 Mar 1992 09:11:39 -0500
>Actually the genre of fan fiction you are refering to is know as K/S
>or slash. Frequently, the writers of slash aren't lesbians, but the
>stories to feature sex between kirk and spock. You should check out
>Constance Penley's essay in Cultural Studies (edited by L.
>Grossberg). Or if you are more interested in the participatory
>culture aspect of all this check Henry Jenkins work in Close
>Encounters (ed by Penley et al.)

Thanks for the citations.  Actually, the Jenkins article is very
problematic--I don't think he very accurately represents what slash
fanzines are like.  I would suggest that one read one before reading the
Jenkins piece (I wonder if he has...).

As for the Penley article, it is very good.  Indeed, it offers a fairly
sophisticated analysis of the genre, both from a political standpoint and
from a sociological one.  Us usual for Penley, however, her use of
psychoanalytic (Freud & Lacan) theoretical structures--her implicit
acceptance of the political-theoretical implications of such discursive
frameworks--hampers her analysis.  Still, it is the best thing in print on
K/S fanzines (with some interesting commentary on Feminism and pornography
as well).

The two cited books are:

Penley, Constance.  "Feminism, Psychoanalysis, and the Study of Popular
Culture."  479-494 in Grossberg, Nelson, and Treichler, _Cultural_Studies_.
 New York:  Routledge, 1992.

Jenkins, Henry III.  "Star Trek Rerun, Reread, Rewritten:  Fan Writing as
Textual Poaching."  171-204 in Penley, Constance et al., ed.  Close
Encounters:  Film, Feminism, and Science Fiction.  Minneapolis:  U of MN
Press, 1991.

Penley also cites Joanna Russ ("Pornography by Women, for Women, with Love"
1985) and Patricia Frazer Lamb and Diana Veith ("Romantic Myth,
Transcendence, and _Star_Trek_ Zines" in _Erotic_Universe_ 1986).

I certainly hope we can continue this thread--thanks to Ms MacDonald and to
Mr. Bunster (who originally mentioned strekzines!

bye,
Elrod Ax.
Williams College.

a.k.a.    Jeremiah (Jem) Borenstein Chaim Axelrod
AOL       Elrod Ax / JeremiahA2
GEnie    JAxelrod2
USMail  Jem Axelrod  63 North St.  Williamstown MA 01267  U.S.A.
MaBell  413 458.9508